What is an Assured Equipment Grounding Conductor Program?
An assured grounding program is a comprehensive system of safety measures designed to protect personnel and equipment from the risks associated with electrical hazards. It includes preventive maintenance, training, inspections, testing and corrective action when necessary. The goal of an assured grounding program is to ensure that all electrical systems are properly grounded at all times in order to reduce or eliminate the risk of electric shock or fire due to faulty wiring or other conditions. By implementing an effective assurance grounding program, businesses can help maintain a safe working environment for their employees while ensuring compliance with applicable safety regulations.
How does the Assured Grounding Program work?
An assured grounding program consists of:
- Written part describing the procedures for equipment testing to be performed by a competent person on each piece of equipment every three months;
- Daily visual inspections;
- Methods to detect faulty ground wire in an extension cord or tool (continuity test, polarity test);
- Test results recording according to OSHA requirements.
When should equipment be tested?
Testing frequency of each tool or extension cord generally are :
- Before the equipment is first used;
- Before it is returned to service after any repairs;
- Before the equipment is reused after damage is suspected to have occurred;
- At intervals not going beyond three months.
Why is tagging important?
An assured grounding program has very strict compliance and inspection requirements but it definitely decreases the chances of injury in the workplace and increases employees’ protection.
OSHA requires test results to be recorded. Two popular record-keeping systems, that are often used in conjunction, are a test log and a color-coded tagging system.
Test Tags should be hard-wearing and built for industrial environments. In the event a Test Tag has fallen off, or become illegible, it is important to re-test and re-tag the equipment for safe use.
Test Tags can be customized with numbering systems, barcodes, Qr codes, company logos, inspection details to suit all business needs.